I should be sleeping, at least resting! But, I’m just laying in bed with good intentions… well I had intentions anyways.
My feet were sore, and really cold so I got up and found some warm socks. I’ve put them on, and now my feet feel goooood! The tightness of the socks taking away some of the ache. Sometimes the weight or resistance of something like a scarf around my neck feels like too much weight and pressure and makes the ache worse. Sometimes you’re lucky and stumble on something that works like the socks. Sometimes someone like me will tell you the things they’ve discovered. Just go with it…
There is no one thing that helps.
This nap was supposed to help me make it into work this afternoon. Going to work is really not a choice thing, I have to go. But, the rest would have helped.
We must be gentle on ourselves
… my latest BS phrase hah! But seriously it’s how I get through this disease, that along with a good dose of denial. Give yourself permission to rest, it may feel unproductive to some… but it will actually allow you to be more productive when you get up.
My problem is guilt.
“I have things to do”, “I need to earn my place and be a part of this family” , “I need to be the woman my husband married” are just some of those super helpful thoughts running through my head. And the big one… remembering I almost broke up my marriage pre diagnosis because I was sleeping all day and all night. Only getting up to get the kids out of bed, feed them, make their lunches and drive them to school. I’d come home, crawl back into bed… only to drag myself up again with enough time to tidy the house, go grab the kids, help them with their activities, make dinner, get them to bed and then crawl right back into bed for the night. I had nothing left, nothing for my husband, nothing for my kids, and nothing for myself. Guilt, I didn’t feel I was the woman my husband married. Mourning, I wasn’t the woman I thought I would be. This was the overwhelming fatigue of Rheumatoid disease.
So, REST or ACTIVITY with pain...
RESEARCH SHOWS THE ANSWER IS BOTH: REST EACH DAY and MOVE EACH DAY
- REST, give yourself permission, or just say I gave it to you.
Figure out how to make peace with your demons and REST. Take a nap. It’s always a teeter totter… you have to balance and lose balance sometimes to find focus again .
Yes, today I’m skipping my rest, it’s Friday and I can hear my oldest up in the kitchen having breakfast getting himself ready, I creak and groan (that’s my usual getting up noises). A cup of coffee with him will be my break. After… I will force myself to move for 10 min with a stretch video.
My motivating force behind doing this, the regret and guilt I feel if I don’t. Not to mention how cranky, stiff and sore I’ll be.
2. MOVE, Just do it.
The movement may only be sitting in a chair lifting your legs up and down, You must decide what you can do that day. No one else can tell you. Somedays I can’t even sit in a chair, but somedays are better and I can walk or hike.
- Can help fix range of motion problems and maintain your range of motion
- Keeps you joints flexible.
- Will strengthen you joints and reduce PAIN.
- Will keep your muscles strong and support weak joints. This relieves the weight and pressure on them.
- Inactivity leads to a sedentary lifestyle. A sedentary lifestyle leads to more symptoms, pain and further disability. It also contributes to other risk factors (ie): cardiovascular disease.
- Regulates inflammation. Some trials show decrease in inflammatory markers.
- Decreases disease activity scores
- Improve patient’s feelings of well being
- Helps with maintaining and losing weight. Therefore reduces symptoms.
- Overweight people with RA put much more pressure on their joints
- Distraction, there’s a phenomena of increased pain when we have no distraction
- Feel good release of endorphins
There’s no reason not to do it.
NO, I don’t always follow my own advice, but I know there are people out there with stronger will power than me, mine’s horrid. Besides, this isn’t just my opinion; research proves it to be true, you have to do both.
Click like or share and give more people a chance at succeeding!
Specific resources I use:
If I’m too sore to nap there’s a FREE app I use to practice mindfulness and meditation my headspace.
(my favorite) stretch video! LOVE 😍!!