I’ve been on a roll, August brought warmer weather and vacation time off work. Two things that seem to leave me feeling better, physically and mentally. The pain was less and the fatigue wasn’t as overwhelming. Cumulatively I had more time and energy. Yes! I felt well enough to start hiking.
I know (in my head at least) I feel better when I get outside. I used to run, 7 days a week 1-2 hours at a time and I’m still mourning that loss. You’d think I’d be over it by now it’s been a few years ( 10 and counting).
It’s been working out so far, I’ve been hiking for almost 2 months. But now the weather is changing, my holidays have finished and the extra energy I had to hike is fading. How am I going to keep this up!!!
I’ve just turned the fireplace on, I’m cold and with the cold comes the ache. I’m heading to the kitchen to grab a couple of Tylenol it usually takes the edge off, I’m going to skip the NSAIDS as my stomach doesn’t feel like it can handle it today. Once the Tylenol kicks in I will stretch and move GENTLY. When I push a stretch or hold a position (as in Yoga) it actually makes things worse…
The videos below are the ones I’ve had the most success with. I just choose the exercises that most appeal to my aches and pains that day and only do 8-10 minutes of those exercises. Relaxing while I stretch at only 50-75% of the effort they are doing on screen. It is in this way I am able to continue… as my tendons and joints don’t like new things!! I truly believe it’s because I’ve started so gently with the movements, and at a very low level of effort that my body has allowed me to continue to work on my range of motion. I do not bring my shoulders above my head as they instruct… I listen to my body and if it hurts I don’t do it! I want to be able to continue doing this exercising thing.
USE IT OR LOSE IT!
WAYS TO HELP YOU PERSEVERE! AND BE SUCCESSFUL WITH Starting ACTIVITY
1. Only 8-10 minutes to start
2 Performed at only 50-75% effort
3. Start slow, only every 2-3 days, hold yourself back!!
4. Don’t HOLD the stretch! Gently move in and out of the movement while relaxing muscles. Don’t push into any movement, no matter how good you think it feels.
5. You are just moving your body, increasing your range of motion.
6. Listen to your body, you want to continue doing this for life, not just today. Don’t raise your arms over your head if it hurts. If you can only bring them to your waist don’t move past that. Don’t extend your arms straight if they feel better bent. You will improve faster if you don’t push and go to the point of pain. That is counter productive and you won’t be able to continue.
In the past I’d been thwarted at every turn! But this mixture of tai chi, qi gong, and movement stretching ( not holding the stretch) has allowed my body to work again! It wasn’t until the end of the month I started increasing my 8-10 minutes. Essentrics Pain-Relief Workouts
Classical Stretch – Age Reversing Workouts for Beginners: Mobility & Bone Strengthening
These videos increased my range and strength and have allowed me my longest run of activity (hiking) injury free. Now I have to adapt to the new fatigue with the change of season etc. Do you want to hear more ways to cope and even thrive just click the”follow” button only 2-3 emails a month I promise! Next post Restless Legs and sleep!